Enjoying sound sleep is essential to ensure the body’s healthy functioning and reduce the risk of diseases. But people around the globe are facing problems with insomnia. As per consumer reports, 68% of Americans face sleeping issues at least once a week. The reasons vary from fatigue, stress, mood disturbances, and difficulty concentrating, amongst others. Some people even state that snoring by their partners is the root cause of their sleeping issues.
Fortunately, the issues are easy to address if you know the real cause of poor sleep. For instance, if you can’t sleep because of your partner’s snores, Smart Nora’s anti-snoring device can help you. It helps alleviate your snoring problem, allowing you and your partner to sleep peacefully. But what if the real problem is with the energetic system of your body, i.e., with chakras?
Yes, you heard it right! The chakras are wheel-like spiritual centers in the body, and any imbalance or blockage in any of the seven chakras may make us sleep-deprived. These imbalances even lead to emotional and physical issues and affect our overall well-being. These chakras perform two vital functions – regulate different body functions and ensure the free flow of energy throughout the body.
Let us first understand the seven chakras of the body, and then we will uncover how an imbalance in any chakras leads to insomnia.
7 Chakras and Their Effect on Our Body
The seven chakras of the body are located at different places and affect the functioning of the human body in unique ways.
- Root Chakra: It is located at the base of the spine and provides stability, security, and strength to the body. It governs the flight-or-fight response, and its blockage manifests feelings of anger, overthinking, and pessimism.
- Sacral Chakra: This chakra is located at the center of the pelvis and is associated with emotion, creation, imagination, and joy. The feelings of anxiety, isolation, and loneliness are common tell-tale signs of the closed or imbalanced sacral chakra.
- Heart Chakra: It is located at the center of the chest and affects love. A blocked heart chakra makes you feel unworthy of love, and you might have troubled relationships with your loved ones.
- Solar Plexus Chakra: The solar plexus chakra is located in the abdomen, right above your navel. It signifies power and confidence, and any imbalance leads to low self-esteem, a sense of directionlessness, and self-doubt.
- Third Eye Chakra: This chakra is located between the eyebrows and represents spiritual clarity, connection, and imagination. You may feel insecure, indecisive, or inability to understand clearly in the case of a blocked third eye.
- Throat Chakra: It governs the function performed by the throat, tongue, and mouth. Any imbalances can result in fear of speaking, lack of communication, social anxiety, and inability to express thoughts.
- Crown Chakra: This chakra is located at the top of the head and is associated with understanding, trust, and awakening. Any blockage or imbalance may lead to short-sightedness, lack of spiritual connection, negative feelings, fear, and anxiety.
Do Imbalance in Chakras Affect Sleep?
Imbalances in the root and the crown chakras commonly result in sleep issues. Imbalances or blocked crown chakra disconnect us from the whole world, impacting the production of cortisol and melatonin hormone (the hormones that regulate our sleep cycle), and thus, result in sleepless nights.
On the other hand, the root chakra deals with safety and security. When we constantly feel insecure or pessimistic, the feeling persists for a long time, and we feel restless and can’t sleep.
Indeed, imbalances in these two chakras affect our sleep-wake cycle, but this is not a complete fact.
All chakras are interconnected and thus do not affect our bodies in isolation. For instance, the sudden death of a loved one may affect the sacral chakra and make us sad and lonely. For example, losing a job opportunity may affect our solar plexus chakra, and we can feel disappointed and sad. In both conditions, we feel stressed and remain sad, which may prove detrimental to sound sleep.
Moreover, when even one chakra of the body is blocked, no energy movement will take place at that particular point, affecting the overall mechanism of the energy flow. This eventually affects the functioning of the various body parts, and yes, you guessed it, it makes us sleep-deprived.
Chakras – The Wheel to Bed
Sleep deprivation will drop your energy levels and affect your physical and mental health. So what to do then? Knowing the underlying cause and correcting it can be one of the first steps to treating insomnia. When we understand the chakras and their respective functions, we can understand the causes of our sleep issues.
If blocked or imbalances in chakras contribute to sleep issues, make a genuine attempt to correct the imbalances by practicing yoga or meditation.